Sunday, March 20, 2011

Surprising Leek and Potato Soup

Two weeks ago I picked up a couple leeks for some amazing recipe I was excited to try. Evidently I should have made it then, because I've since completely forgotten what I got them for. This morning I was searching through every cookbook I have and couldn't find the recipe I was so sure I had to try, so I settled on making leek and potato soup instead. How else was I going to use up these droopy leeks and softening potatos I had hanging around my kitchen? Well, lucky for me this whole leeky fiasco happenned because the soup recipe I found is surprisingly simple and delightfully delicious. The recipe calls for butter but if you're looking to make it vegan I think any substitute will be delicious too * gluten free; vegan if made with cooking oil or vegan margerine


Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan alternate)

  • 2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only - but don't throw away the dark green bits, see Baked Eggs with Creamy Leeks recipe), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced

  • 2 medium potatoes, more or less peeled and cubed

  • 3 1/2 cups of some kind of stock (I used veggie Better than Bouillon concentrate)

  • *chopped chives to garnish if you're fancy


How:

Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add leeks; stir to coat with butter. Cover and cook until leeks are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes begin to soften but do not brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add 3 1/2 cups stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
Puree (I used a blender wand) until smooth. Return to pot if pureed in blender. Thin with additional stock if soup is too thick (or water if soup is too flavourful). Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to simmer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish and serve.

Original Recipe from:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Leek-and-Potato-Soup-1922

No comments:

Post a Comment